Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How My "Weirdness" Has Helped Me

I was in ballet class, joking around with some of my classmates, when my first-year friend, Alexi, says, "Seniors are weird."

My senior friend, Sarah, says, "I'm not."

I say, "Well, I am."

What prompted this brief interaction? It had something to do with me and my need to sing "Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake when the professor told us NOT to rock our bodies during chasses. In case you didn't know, I have a song for everything. Alexi observed that most of them are from the early 2000's, or as I call it, P.B. (Pre-Beiber). Additionally, my friend, Kerri, and I quote Forgetting Sarah Marshall a ton during class. We are particularly fond of the surf lesson scene. "Do less" is our line of choice during pliĆ©s


Okay, so I am a little weird. I wish my life was a musical; I'm mildly obsessed with my iPhone; Sometime in the past 4 years my friends decided I was their fashion consultant, so now I think I'm Stacy from What Not to Wear; and I eat avocados right out of the peel with a spoon.

I would argue that all of this "weirdness" has made me successful in college. It doesn't mean that I am every body loves me and my "weirdness," but I think I have made better friends because I am open about all my quirks. In that sense, my success has coming in finding life-long friends.

My second type of success from "weirdness" comes from type-A personality. Now, you're probably thinking that being a type-A personality can only help me. (For those of you who don't know, a "type-A" person is someone who is overachieving with very high standards and goals.) My personality can be somewhat alienating. Sometimes you get called things like "Teacher's  Pet." I've been that my whole life. I'm not going to apologize for wanting to be successful and working hard. That's ridiculous.  Even though some of my peers may be miffed at me for it, it's been hugely helpful to me in my St. Mike's. Professors wants to help students who want to succeed. They will stick their neck out for you. It's also been incredibly helpful in terms of clubs like the Founder's Society. As a first-year and sophomore, I was an overly-ambitious blogger, who wanted a ton of views on her blog. That ambition got me the Online Media and Communications Coordinator position. 

While this post may seem like a short rambling based on an insignificant moment, I hope that it encourages you to embrace your "weirdness" whatever it may be.

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics