Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cooking in College: Easter Brunch

Because St. Mike's is a Catholic college, we have the luxury of a 4-day weekend to celebrate the Easter Holiday. This year was the first year that I stayed on campus for the holiday. (In past years, I've been in Quebec City, Florida and Plymouth, Mass.) Lucky for me, many of my friends stayed, too. Therefore, we decided to celebrate Easter in our own way by making Easter brunch in a townhouse and watching Hot Rod.

I played chef and created a meal of Eggs Benedict and hash browns. To make breakfast for 6 girls, I needed to cook 12 eggs, cook bacon, toast English muffins and grill onions. My big struggle is always timing when I cook. How do I make everything come out hot at the same time?

My masterpiece.
My big trick this morning was cooking eggs in a cupcake tin. (Thank you, Pinterest!) I cracked on egg in each cupcake mold and pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees. Once the oven was ready I placed the eggs in the oven while I started the bacon on the stove top. The blog post says that it takes about 10 minutes to cook. To be honest, I just eye-balled it, but they turned out great. It also meant that everyone could eat at the same time and not as the eggs came out.

Now, back to the bacon. The Canadian bacon traditionally on Eggs Benedict is a little pricey, so I went with maple bacon, which not only tastes delicious, but smells awesome while your cooking it. You know what else smells delicious? Grilling onions. I put grilled onions on everything and it turns out my friends are also fans.

Lastly, I made Hollandaise sauce. It was the first time I've done that. I didn't make it from scratch, so I used Knorr mix which only requires butter and milk. It's not quite the same as the real thing, but, for an inexpensive make-shift college brunch, it was REALLY tasty.

Perhaps the best part of all this? The ingredients only cost me about $20 total. Between 6 girls, it was an inexpensive way to enjoy the holiday.

Next up for me? Turning in my book on Wednesday! I promise to blog more about it soon. Happy Easter and (slightly early) April!

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics