Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The First EISA Carnival of 2013

Hi Everyone!

I took a two week vacation from blogging for a few reasons, but the greatest was that I was back on campus skiing for two weeks with the team and was regularly exhausted. Plus, we all need a break from the norm, don't we? You'll be glad to know that now I am back for my final semester at St. Mike's. (Cue the ominous music.)

Before I jump into blog posts about my academic life as a senior, I want to share with you a little bit about the first EISA (Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association) Carnival of the season.

For those of you who aren't skiers, a "carnival" is just the name for a college race. While vastly entertaining like the original definition, there are no masks, public street parties, or parades.


Photo from the SMC Alpine Ski Team
Taken from the bottom of the Stowe GS
The University of Vermont hosted the first race at Stowe Mountain Resort, which is like a home hill for us. We train their twice a week along with our time at Smuggler's Notch. While I have had a countless number of runs on the race hill, this season I had had a minimal number of days in gates compared to many of the people competing or even compared to some of my team mates.

I didn't ski terribly this past weekend, but it certainly wasn't my best performance. I was solid, but did not have my regular, awesome self. (Please excuse the self-flattery.)

As for the other skiers on the team, the men had stand-out performances in slalom on Saturday. Fredrik Sandell grabbed a podium spot, coming in third. Carl Oscar Bredengen came in 19th and Brad Farrell came in 22nd. This places the men's team in 3rd for the day.

Following the alpine race, the team sits in 9th place. The nordic part of the race isn't for three weeks, so we won't know final results for a while.

In case you don't know, the nordic and alpine ski teams train separately, but in terms of EISA team rankings, our results are combined. 
My friend, Kelly from SLU, and I at Stowe

At the end of the day, the UVM Carnival was a fairly uneventful race. The obvious highlight for the team was Fredrik's podium. I was personally excited to see all of my friends who are from other schools like St. Lawrence, Dartmouth, and Middlebury.

The team heads to Lake Placid this weekend for the St. Lawrence University Carnival. If you are interested, check out Live-Timing and "watch" the races. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics