Thursday, January 17, 2013

Social Media Practice and Theory - A New #SMCVT Class (#mjd219)

As you are probably aware, classes at St. Michael's College started on Monday. If you are a regular reader, you know that this is my last semester at the college. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting my diploma in May. In order to get there, I need to take a few more classes.

Lucky for me, the Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Arts department hired Michelle Jeffery, the coordinator of marketing and communications at Vermont Public Radio, to teach Social Media Practice and Theory. It is brand new course, which has never been offered before. I am thrilled to see the department providing a class in a media topic, which is clearly infiltrating our lives.

The course description states that we will explored Twitter and Facebook primarily with projects involving exploring many of the other social networks like Instagram. LinkedIn, Google+ and Foursquare. Let's just say that I should probably change my middle to name to "social media." We filled out a social media diet survey for the class and I had tried all of the social networks plus a few. I'm the girl that uses Twitter as a texting system and runs an aggressive amount of Facebook brand pages. I'm ALMOST embarrassed about my small obsession.... ALMOST.

The good news is I'm familiar with all the platforms, so I'm not coming into the class blind. If I was coming in blind, that'd be embarrassing considering I'm the Online Media and Communications coordinator at the school.

Assignments for the class will include participating in class discussions using #mjd219 on Twitter or in our Facebook group, shadowing a local journalist who uses social media and writing a story using social media sources and crowd sourcing.

The cover of our book proposal.
Perhaps the thing I like most so far is the fact is the mix of people in the class. I recognize many of them, but I've never had class with most of them, which will make for new and interesting conversation.  The second best part is that it will be a great course in relation to the book Liz and I are writing on media events in the 21st century with emphasis on social media and the way we engage with the television.

Now, I have to go because class starts soon. Let me know if you have any questions: www.formspring.me/gabbismc .

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics