Monday, January 21, 2013

Principles of Business Communications

Because I had open space in my schedule, the only thing I had to worry about was if I'd be able to ski. I've never taken a business course before, so I decided that now was a good time. I signed up for Principles of Business Communication with Erik Kaarla. As a communications major and someone who has worked in a business (and we all will at some point), I thought that it couldn't hurt to have a little experience with the basics of formal business communication practices.

The course covers a variety of topics including public speaking, which I am most excited about. I've done a lot of public speaking in my life and, to be honest, I rather like it. I think having a class that focuses on that is extraordinarily important in any major. There will be points in everyone's career where they need to speak publicly. I think they need to make it an LSC class in my personal opinion.

I have my first presentation tomorrow. Kaarla divided the class into groups of 4 to 5 people on day one. The groups were selected at random and each team picked a chapter of the book to cover. Our initial instinct was to grab one at the end. However, knowing the state I am going to be in in March and April (sleep-deprived and crazy), I suggested we take one of the first presentations. There are several reasons I like to go first, but my favorite is that you can set the standard. I like to set the bar high as you are probably already aware.

In order to be true to my personal presentation style, I used Prezi to make our presentation. We broke the chapter into 5 sections: one for each member, plus a section for class participation at the end. (Feel free to watch the Prezi below.)



The participation section includes each student formulating business-appropriate responses to one of the given scenarios. Students will be selected at random and will be asked to read their response aloud to the class. We will then open the floor to discussion about what the good and bad are of the response they wrote. (Keep your fingers crossed that the whole presentation runs smoothly.)

I have a love-hate relationship with group projects. They divide up the work, which is nice, but often times members are at different levels of public speaking abilities and levels of caring about the project. I don't care that this class isn't for my major and that I took it just for the credits. I care deeply about the impression I put forward and grade I receive at the end of the semester.

I promise to keep you updated on the class and let you know about any interesting projects we do this semester. I hope you are all having a good 2013 so far.

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics