Saturday, December 29, 2012

My New Year's Resolutions 2013

Here's how I feel about New Year's resolutions: They are a really nice thought. 

Who doesn't want to improve themselves? I'd love to be a little less snarky, eat a little healthier, and spend a little less money on clothes. However, I don't think that telling myself, "Starting Jan. 1, I am only going to eat vegetables and never enjoy cheesecake again," is really a sound way to get healthy and change my life. (Let's be honest, I'm NEVER giving up cheesecake. It's too tasty.) Maybe that works for some, but I certainly don't function that way.

This year, I'm going to work to be better for other people and here are my resolutions for doing so:

1) Be a better leader.

One of my biggest leadership roles is as the Online Media and Communications Coordinator at St. Michael's College. I run the SMC Blogs program with the marketing and admissions offices. At any given time, I have up to 30 bloggers to coordinate with. Lucky for me, they do a great job 99% of the time and are easy to organize. However, the nature of blogging is anti-social. I'd like to be better friends with the team by seeing more of them in person even if it just means more "hellos" as we all run back and forth across campus. It's tough because we are also so busy and fabulous, but in the new year, I'd like to be able to get to know each of them a little better.

2) Be a more supportive team mate.

Racing in the St. Lawrence Carnival 2011
Ski racing is a funny sport. It's about the individual skier, but at the end of the day, they rank us as a team. I was captain of the team my sophomore year and while I am no longer captain (and happily so) I try to be a supportive teammate and leader without the title. (Note to student-athletes: Being captain is an honor and also a big responsibility. If and when you are voted in, remember that its no longer all about you.) What you may not know is that the alpine and nordic ski teams are under the same umbrella. We share a ski room and our results effect each others rankings. I hope that this year we will be able to get the nordic and alpine teams to hang out a little bit more and support each other. I am also going to make a concerted effort to cheer for everyone one of my teammates at the races even if it is cold outside.

3) Spend as much time with my friends as possible.

Sarah and I (as goofy today as we were freshman year)
(Okay, this resolution is a little more selfish.) Sometimes I feel like a broken record, telling you about how amazing my friends are and how we've known each other since day one at St. Mike's. It's all true and I hope that everyone has the experience that I have had.  My goal this semester is to spend as much time with those friends as possible because, in May, we will be going our separate ways. While most St. Mike's grads will be on the east coast and relatively near each other, I intend to go farther away. At a minimum, I plan to be in Los Angeles. At a maximum, I will be at NYU Abu Dhabi, working as a fellow. (I'm praying for the Abu Dhabi fellowship. My heart literally races every time I think about it.) This semester, I want to go skiing with my non-ski-team friends because I haven't skied with them since freshman year. I want to have a ton of socials with the Acabellas.  Now is the time for me to do all the things I've wanted to during my time at St. Mike's.

4) Leave a mark.

My favorite quote is: Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. - Marianne Williamson

I have spent the past four years trying to live what I believe is the meaning of the quote. I said, "I'm going to college. Time to go big or go home." I didn't come to college to have an average experience and simply graduate with a degree. I wanted more out of my fours years. In May, I'd like to know that I've left a mark on the school in some way. I hope I have inspired someone, encouraged someone, helped someone, or changed someone. I think we all fear being forgotten and I hope that 2013 is the year I leave an indelible mark on St. Mike's.

I hope you all have an amazing New Year's celebration and that 2013 is the year you change the world.  I'll talk to you all next year. If you have any questions about St. Mike's or me, feel free to ask anonymously on Formspring

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics