Sunday, December 2, 2012

Media Events in the 21st Century - Analysis of Social Media and The Way We Watch TV (Book)

an analysis of media events in the digital age with emphasis on social media
That's the title page of our proposal

Hello Everyone! Happy Holidays!

If you haven't heard, I'm writing a book with my good friend, Liz Murray, and on Thursday night, we turned in our 31-page, 16,000 word proposal.

We have been working towards our final proposal all semester and it is a relief to have it done. Now, of course, we actually have to write the book.

Now without giving too much away, I want to share some of our working arguments we are addressing.


  1. News events, under particular circumstances, can qualify as media events in the digital age. 
  2. In order for something to be called a media event, there must be a conversation about it over social media.
  3. Television still remains the primary medium for media events, but people are more often having a multiple screen experience when viewing media events. 
  4. The viewing experience of media events has gone from a reality-based community to a virtually-based community. 

Oh my god, Santa!!
To be honest, I need a break from media events and research. What I need is a holiday! In less than two weeks, I'll be home in Lake Tahoe and I can't wait. I do have a few things to finish up in the mean time.  For example, this weekend was the Alumni, Faculty, and Staff Christmas Party. Founder's Society members volunteer to help out with crafts for the children of the school community. The best part is that Santa made an appearance. In fact, one of our fabulous admissions counselors, Jeremy Brown, played Santa.

Also, today I laid out the last Defender of the semester. That's right! Issue #9 is going to be printed on Tuesday. To be honest, I am really relieved to be done with full time Defender. It is really rewarding to put together a paper, but it is also exhausting and occasionally stressful. 

Despite that I have decided to stay on next semester as a Multimedia Editor, meaning I get to take photos, video, and audio. I'm doing it as a 2-credit course and it should be a lot of fun. At the very least, I get to do a lot of fun projects next semester. 

Now, I am off to McCarthy Arts Center for an Acabellas rehearsal. Have a great night! 

xoxo
Gabbi

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking the World Wide Web for this information Event Staffing Agencyand I want to thank you for this post. It’s not easy to find such perfectly written information on this topic. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics