Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Letter to the @SaintMichaels Class of 2017

Dear Class of 2017,

    Welcome to the family. You've probably heard that before and you'll hear it time and time again. I just want you to know that even though we may never have classes together or be in the same club, the St. Michael's family extends beyond the barriers of orientation and graduation.

Meet my immediate family at St. Mike's. I have lived with
two of the girls pictured and I ate dinner with two
other girls nearly every night freshman thru junior year.
This is us in September of freshman year before the
Highlighter Dance.
    We all know the pros and cons of families. There are the crazy uncles, the obnoxious siblings, the parents who have an opinion, the grandparents who always ask if you are dating, and the cool cousins who are almost too cool to talk to you. One of the bonuses of being a member of the family that raised you is unconditional love. The con is that you don't get to choose your immediate family. At St. Michael's, I can't promise that you'll like everyone or that everyone will like you. I can't promise the love you have for your friends will be unconditional. However, you will get to choose your immediate St. Michael's family. Like siblings, you and your immediate family members--whether you choose your floor mates, teammates, or fellow club members--will bicker from time to time. What you will find is that you can work through most of the arguments. Your immediate family at St. Mike's is the family that you go to when you need to share the good, the bad, and the ugly. My immediate family hardly ever lets me live down my embarrassing moments, but they also never fail to pat me on the back and support me when I need it.

Who knows? Maybe you'll find yourself working in West
Hollywood, CA on Sunset Blvd and walking your first
red carpet like I did this summer!
   With such a great support system in place, I encourage you to see the possibilities for your own success. As an incoming student, I was 100% set on becoming a broadcast journalist. It was my be-all, end-all career. I'm not going to lie. I still aspire to be a Ellen-Oprah hybrid down the road, but I find that as graduation approaches I have a slightly overwhelming number of options because of the skills that St. Michael's provided. I am currently applying to positions like "Social Media Editor," "Digital Media Coordinator," and "Marketing Assistant." I never expected to get into marketing as a first-year. Even now, a semester away from graduation, I am rethinking the possibilities. I've discovered I love to teach, so I am applying for a writing fellowship at NYU Abu Dhabi, where I will get to work with first-year students as a writing coach, pursue my own work, and travel. I hope that you will keep an open mind throughout your four years here because you never know where you might end up and the adventure you might go on.

So whether your a little "carpe diem" or a little "yolo," I encourage you to embrace the St. Michael's experience, your new quirky mismatched family, and the awkward (definitely embarrassing) moments you'll share during your first year as a Purple Knight.

I look forward to meeting some of you this spring on tours and at Accepted Student Days. If you have questions, please ask me questions on VYou.


Sincerely,
Gabbi




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics