Sunday, October 14, 2012

College Luxury: The Long Weekend

There are few luxuries that college affords. (You could say that college in itself is a luxury, which is true.) However, once you are in college, you find that the "broke college student" stereotype is a very real thing.

One of the free luxuries we do get are the occasional long weekend. In October, St. Mike's students enjoy 4-days following midterms to regroup, catch-up, and/or get ahead. I personally planned to get ahead, but that will start tomorrow. I needed Saturday and Sunday to decompress. It's been a very busy few weeks.

Washington, DC USA
Hilary and I at the Lincoln Memorial - May 2012
On Friday night, my friend Hilary from UVM made the trek to Colchester. For those of you who don't know, Hilary and I have known each other since we were 10 years old when we skied together on the Sugar Bowl Ski Team. She also drove cross-country last May with me.

Hilary is from Nevada, too, so we share the challenge of not being able to go home on long weekends. In order for Hilary to get a break, she made a trip to campus while we were celebrating Maria's 22nd birthday.

She spent the night on our couch and the next morning we went to breakfast at Sneakers in the Winooski Circle. I highly recommend it as a breakfast option if you are in town. My personal favorite meal is the Crab Cake Eggs Benedict. It's so tasty!

Hilary and I also did a Walmart trip where I stocked up on groceries. We parted ways shortly after and I met up with Kate for a Saturday afternoon hike.

Stowe Vermont Mountains in the Fall
We decided to do Stowe Pinnacle, a 2-hour hike over at Stowe Resort.  It was the first blue sky day we have had in a while so it was the perfect day to head out. It is also prime leaf-peeping season, which made the hike that much more beautiful. You don't have to be an expert hiker to handle this one. Just bring water and a snack for the top! Oh, and, of course, wear some sturdy shoes.

I have spent today (Sunday) watching Sex and the City. Now, I am watching the Patriots game with Kate and Teresa. It is cloudy and since I have 2 more days of the weekend, I can justify a few days of laziness.

I hope you all are keeping calm and getting ready for the holiday season!
xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics