Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My (Last) First Day of Classes

(Please note: this post was supposed to go live on Monday, but I experience some internet difficulties.)

This morning, my house mates and I got ready for our last first day of classes at Saint Michael's College. We wore super cute outfits. (Yes, a first day of school outfit is still important.)

My first class wasn't until noon. #winning

From 12:15 - 1:20 pm , I have Publication Editing and Design also known as being on The Defender staff. The class is co-advised by Jerry Swope and David Mindich, professors in the journalism department.

We spent the class reviewing expectations like grading policies, attendance policies, and what positions we are interested in. I am interested in the Sports Editor position, which you will probably find unsurprising. Naturally, half the guys in the class want to be the Sports Editor. I'll be completely honest with you. I am going to be rather angry if they give the position to a guy. The Sports Editor is ALWAYS a guy. Let's switch it up people!

Overall, it does seem like it will be a great class and a great team of people to work with.

My second class of the day was the MJD Senior Research Proposal with Jon Hyde and Kim Sultze.


My second class of the day was the MJD Senior Research Proposal with Jon Hyde and Kim Sultze. All media studies seniors participate in the fall semester 2-credit course, which allows students to choose an original topic of social significance (on a national or international scale) to either write a book on, create a multimedia website about, or build a documentary film on. The actual project comes together in the Spring semester. In the past, students have discussed topics such as social medias effect on sports reporting and the current craze of out-of-the-country medical procedures. My professors tell me that many seniors have received job offers based on the merits of their senior projects. By the end of this semester, I’ll have a 25 page research proposal. By the end of senior year, I’ll have written a book and created a documentary. It’s pretty crazy to think about. 

I’ll be working with my fellow blogger, Liz Murray, and we are already scheduling our meetings to discuss topic ideas. Both of us are social media fans and it has clearly become a huge part of society, so I’d love to choose a niche of social media and run with it. I’m super fascinated with celebrities, but I’m not sure I could really get access the publicists or celebrities given my current Vermont location. 

Tomorrow, I have Acting Techniques and Adventure Film Making! I can’t wait. It’s going to be  a busy semester, but I say, “Bring it on.” #yolo

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics