Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My First Time: Doc Jacobs Field

I'm sort of embarrassed to admit this, but here it goes.

I'm Gabbi and until today I have never set foot on the Doc Jacobs Field. I've just never had to. Of course, it is never a dull day at St. Mike's and it was a day for something new.

I have admittedly been a little relaxed in terms of getting ahead on assignments recently. I've been doing a lot of procrastination. I really and truly believe it is a result of the end of ski season. I just don't know what to do with my time and yet I feel busier than ever.

Moving on...

This week, I had put off/sort of forgotten about my photojournalism assignment entitled "Enterprise." The idea behind the assignments is that sometimes a publication will need you (the photographer) to go out and find a photo to fill space on a page. The photo should be visually interesting and timely. My professor says that these photos sometimes happen in a frenzy.

I'm not sure a frenzy is the right way to describe my shooting style today, but it was last minute. I woke up this morning and checked the athletics schedule. I got really lucky and found that there was a baseball and softball game happening in the afternoon, which I could shoot between my class ending at 4:20 pm and photojournalism at 6:30 pm. That gave me 2 hours to shoot and edit my photos.

SMC baseball takes on St. Anselm's on April 3, 2012
On such a small campus, it is hard to believe there are places I haven't been. Doc Jacobs Field, however, has really held no interest to me in the recent past. Don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE supporter of SMC Athletics and no one is prouder to be a Purple Knight. I just haven't made it back there for a game before. Now, I can say that I have.

I've entitled this first image, "Photographer-proof Fence." It isn't your typical baseball photo, but I do like that you get both teams, the ref and a convenient framing from the fence. In an ideal world, I could be on the field or have a big fancy zoom lens, but alas, I do not. You can check out lenses from the library, but I did not think about that in the 2 hours I had to do the assignment.
SMC softball huddles up before their game against UMass Lowell.

My second photo is a more quiet moment which I'll call "More than a Number." I think a lot of times we are given bibs or jerseys and we see score boards with home runs or times. As athletes, we are more than just numbers. I like this moment before the game. You know where they are from the sign, you know they are a team, and you can see the softball in a player's hand on the right. I also like that I shot it vertically. I don't often do that, but I think it creates cool photos.

I took a lot more photos. Probably close to 80 of them. I like to have a lot of options and when in doubt I just shoot. Who knows? I might get really lucky with a random shot. Better safe than sorry. Now I am off to bed. Today has been exhausting. Have questions? Ask me here.

xoxo
Gabbi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics