Sunday, April 1, 2012

I'm Here And I'm Ready to Sing - An Acabella's Tradition

For those who don't know, I like to sing. I sing in the car. I sing in the shower (just ask my suitemates). I sing on the treadmill. College is really the first time I have been able to "pursue" singing as an activity. I did choir in grade school, but since then it has been the occasional talent show performance and not much more. That is why I am so grateful to be an Acabella. These girls mean everything to me and my SMC experience wouldn't be the same without them.

On Friday evening, the Acabellas went to perform at the Arbors, an assisted living facility in Shelburne. Part of our group mission is to do community service and support causes important to us. This particular performance was organized by a fellow Alto 2, Mallory, and her friend, Susie, who is an RA and works at the facility.

L to R: Peppers, Taylor, Krystin, and Kendall
Earlier in the day, our new t-shirts had come in the mail! Yay! On the front is our logo, a singer with crazy hair filled with music notes. On the back, it states "I'm here and I'm ready to sing."

Let me give you the back story on that saying. The 'Bellas, as we call ourselves, are a tight knit group. We share in each other's sorrows and triumphs. We really do support each other. Of course, this also means we are a rather chatty bunch and sometimes that takes away from our rehearsal time.

Therefore, we created a system to try and find our focus before rehearsals. We sit in a circle and each person gets to say one thing that is bothering them or good news they want to share and they end the 'Bella says, "I'm here and I'm ready to sing." This means that despite whatever is going on in our lives, rehearsal is a time to small and focus on singing. I am personally in love with the shirts. I think they turned out great and they are super comfy. There was a general consensus in our Facebook group that we didn't want to take them off. That's part of the reason I love this group: Everyone loves being a 'Bella. It's part of who we are.

L to R: Emily, Me, and Devan
I also love running into 'Bellas outside of rehearsal. This weekend, I hung out with Emily and Devan, two freshman in the group. I like hanging out with them because a) they make me feel tall and b) they are absolutely hysterical. Emily recently became a tour guide for Saint Mike's, so some of the Class of 2016 will get to meet her at our Accepted Student Days in April. It's just more proof that here at St. Mike's you are more than a student-athlete. I like to think I am a singing-skiing-leading-laughing-blogging-student-athlete. It's quite the title, I know. It is too bad it doesn't fit on my business cards. :-P

I just wanted to give you all a little insight into the group. It's such a huge part of my experience and I hope that all the female shower-singers that are looking at SMC will try out for 'Bellas!

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics