Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Weekend - A Trip to Plymouth Rock

Plymouth Rock
Most Americans know that the pilgrims arrived on the Mayflower and hit Plymouth Rock. What you may not know is that Plymouth Rock is, in fact, a small little rock with "1620" inscribed on it. It is sheltered be a colossal memorial.

As you may have deduced, I spent my weekend in Plymouth, Massachusetts, which sits on the coast about 40 minutes outside Boston. My friend, Kate, live there and after 3 years of friendship I finally met her family. (Most of my friends have met my family and many of them met freshman year.)

For Easter Break, we get a 4-day weekend, so Kate and I trekked down on Thursday afternoon.
On our first day there, we walked along the water, where I saw the Mayflower 2 (the replica of the Mayflower) as well as Plymouth Rock. It is pretty interesting to actually see the place after learning about the pilgrims my entire life. For Kate, this was the destination of a million field trips. I suppose it's comparable to my education on Ellis Island or the gold rush. You learn a lot about the history around you. Anyways, this was a photo Kate took of me, so I could text it to my mom. (My mom and I both love traveling and history.)

Look, the Easter Bunny came! (Thanks, Mrs. McGrath!)
To be honest, Kate and I spent most the weekend relaxing and hanging out with her family. We saw the Hunger Games (now I am dying to read the books!) and played WAY to much XBox3 Kinect. I'm not really a video game person and I never had them growing up, but that system is mad cool. You don't need any controllers, just hands. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that my upper body is slightly sore from tennis, golf, bowling, track and field, darts, and beach volleyball. It is the truth though.

We ended the weekend with a trip to Boston to meet up with Sarah and Fleur. We did a little shopping and then headed to Flatbread where Kate's brother works. I've never been to a Flatbread, but it was AWESOME! So delicious. We had this sweet potato pizza with goat cheese, cranberries, and caramelized onions that was to die for! We called it our "last supper," since we were leaving to head back to cafeteria food.

Now I am back at SMC with a big week ahead including interviewing, Global Comm-ing, and practicing my speech for the Accepted Student Day this weekend and next weekend. I hope to see a ton of Class of 2016-ers there! Have a great week!

xo
Gabbi

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and your friends were busy relaxing! Well, it is good to take a vacation once in a while. And seeing the famous Plymouth Rock is definitely fun! Yes, the rock is relatively small, but it holds great historical importance to our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice weekend. It was only about 4 days, so we tried to balance refueling and sightseeing.

      Delete

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics