Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Drawing 1 - Who Knew I Could Actually Draw a Face?

Bérénice Bejo of "The Artist"
As you know, I am taking Drawing 1: Portraits. What you may not know is that I am NOT an artist. I have literally never been able to make a person look realistic.

Until now, of course.

This week's assignment is to draw three faces at different angles. We have the flexibility to use whatever medium we like. I used ebony pencil and charcoal for this one. The clippings I am drawing are from Vanity Fair. I particularly like the retro feel of the photos.


The homework assignment is relatively flexible as to how you place the faces as well as their sizes. I prefer larger scale profiles because so I am doing three faces over three sheets of paper.

Kerstin Dunst
As you can see, they are currently floating heads. I will have to find a way to connect the three piece. I am thinking of putting clouds beneath the necks and connecting the backgrounds doing different times of day on each piece. Like I said, I'm still up in the air, but I like the concept. I guess I'll make the call when the third face is done.

I'm glad to finally be drawing faces. We spent a lot of time drawing weird collections of items including eggs with tons of lighting to work on a shading. It was really tedious and often frustrating. However, now that we are in the thick of it, I can see when it was useful to the exercises before moving to more complete pieces.

Now, I'm going to start my third face. If I love the final product, I'll share it.

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics