Monday, March 26, 2012

Day In The Life - A Photojournalism Assignment

Hey Everyone!

Happy Monday! Can you believe it is already the end of March? It's pretty insane and busy for me. This week in photojournalism, my professor paired the class off for an assignment called "Day In The Life." Our task was to photograph our partner over the course of a day and come up with a photo story. Luckily, my partner is Marlee, who is a friend of mine. While it can be a little awkward for photographer and subject to just walk around campus and Burlington with the camera going, it is something I got over relatively easy. The camera almost acts as a barrier and I try to immerse myself in getting the shot I want. The awkwardness is worth it.

The challenge with this assignment was finding events that were interesting to photograph. Marlee was celebrating her 20th birthday during the time we had for shooting, so I had a pre-planned story including the party planning and party. Below are the photos I have chosen to show the days events. Along with the caption, I will try and give you insight into why I like each photo. Here we go!

   My first image (not my lead image) is Marlee in her Global Communications class. While this isn't the most interesting photo, I thought it was important to portray that she was a student. I had problems with exposure and facial expressions in my other photos. Sometimes you take what you can get.

  
Marlee Brown talks with Melissa Brown
 before the start of their Global Communications class
 in St. Edmund's Hall at St. Michael's College.
This next photo is from Church Street. I had an overall photo from across the street, but I didn't want use the overall here because a overall in the cupcake shop later on. I had to lighten this photo in Photoshop because of the shading from the umbrella. I do like the perspective on it. I like seeing that she is eating with someone as well as the hustle and bustle of Church St.

Marlee shares lunch at Bruegger's Bagels
 in downtown Burlington with
Samantha Martell, a senior at Saint Michael's College.
Marlee spent several hours downtown
on March 23, 2012, prepping for her birthday party.

 This is one of my favorite photos from the set. One of our previous assignments was "Human Interaction." I think this is a great example. I didn't have to do much editing on this photo which was convenient. I did crop some of the side off the photo to focus more on the girls.


Marlee Brown and Carley Nolan of Long Island, NY
enjoy the beautiful weather on Church Street
in Burlington, VT last Friday.
 Marlee purchased a new dress for her birthday party.
Carley describes her
as "easy going, hardworking, and an independent person."


As I said earlier, I wanted to use the overall shot of the cupcake shop in Burlington. This store is called My Little Cupcake and is located just off Church St near the North Face store and the Roxy theater. I had trouble with lighting in the shop at first. I was also denied "behind the counter" access. I really wanted to shoot through the glass. However, I thought this photo best shows what was going on.

Marlee Brown, Amy Wilson, and Carley Nolan decide
 on the flavors for the 19 mini cupcakes they purchased
from My Little Cupcake in Burlington, VT.
The birthday girls, Marlee and Amy, also purchased
 two big cupcakes which would hold
their birthday candles later in the evening.
For this assignment, I did want to use a People without People photo. The game seemed to be a perfect opportunity. The game itself isn't all that exciting, but I think the photo tells you something about what was going on. You know multiple people are playing and I think it tells you something about Marlee and her friends.

During the barbeque portion of Marlee's birthday celebration, the women of Linnehan Hall sat down to a riveting game of Scattegories.
  
This photo is my absolute favorite photo from the day. It is also my lead photo. The lead photo is the photo you choose to lead the audience into a story and doesn't need to necessarily be the first image. I like the angle, the color, and the honest emotion. I think it captures the frivolity of the night. 

 
While Amanda Sanderson lights the candles,
Marlee Brown enjoys a laugh before blowing them out
 with fellow brithday girl,Amy Wilson.
Earlier in the day, Amy had to perform an emergency repair
on Marlee's chocolate cupcake which had lost its frosting
during transport from My Little Cupcake to Linnehan Hall.
Amy Wilson said, "Our party was so fun!
I think that was the closest Linnehan
has ever come to being a frat house.
I love hanging out with Marlee all the time
 and I'm glad we got to celebrate together
 since next year we will both be abroad."
 So there you go. That's a "Day In the Life of Marlee: Celebrating 2 Decades." Considering how many concerns I had going into the project, I am very happy with the final project. Now, I really need to get some Global Communiations done. Phase #2 of my French media project is due Thursday and I am soooo behind. Talk with you soon!

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics