Wednesday, February 22, 2012

How to Order Eggs In Alliot

Trying new things can be intimidating and no one wants to make rookie mistakes. When I went to New Zealand, I googled "how to order drinks at a bar," so that when I went out in Queenstown and wouldn't seem like a total newbie. While Alliot isn't a bar in a foreign country, it will be new and I hope this post will help ensure you get a filling and nutritional breakfast.

It is your first day eating Alliot breakfast. You walk to the back left corner of the food circle and approach the grill. Lucky for you, there is no line, so you walk directly to the counter, which is located next to the soft serve machine. Now, we have reached a critical moment in your morning. What will you order?

Never fear. I'm hear to break down the secret language of Alliot eggs, so that you can order like an upperclassman. Let's start with a list of essential terms:


  • Scrambled - basic scrambled eggs
  • Hard - Over easy egg
  • White - Egg whites
  • Cheese - Generally speaking, shredded cheese goes on scrambled eggs, while cheese slices go on orders of hard eggs. Slices are also served on whites.
Now you have the basics. So here is how you order:

Situation #1 - You want scrambled eggs with cheese. Easy enough. You can say "Scrambled with, please." (We use manners here!)

Situation #2 - You want over easy with cheese. You say "1 hard with." Want more eggs? Just increase the number. My usual order is "3 hard with." (I've also started ordering two whites, one with.)

Situation #3 - There is a long line of people who have ordered in front of you and they have ALL ordered 2 hard with cheese, which is exactly the same as yours. How will you know your order in line? Don't freak. Order "2 hard with shredded" to mix it up. If you are passionate about sliced cheese, go for "two hard, one with." This makes your order easy to find in a sea of scrambled eggs.

Essentially, we just use short hand and if you order eggs regularly the chefs start to memorize your order which can be wicked convenient.

Ordering eggs in Alliot isn't a particularly challenging ordeal, but I can tell you that during my first week at school I was too intimidated by the grill to order eggs. Don't ask me why. I'm a weird one. I just ate cereal.

There are some common courtesies to notice when you are at the grill. The ordering line generally runs from the counter along the row of soft serve, ice cream, and coffee machines, while the people waiting for their food awkwardly stand around the cream cheese/jelly/butter/ketchup island. If for some reason their is a random mass of people near the grill, simply inquire about who has ordered and who is waiting. I have found that strangers at St. Mike's don't bite. Also, be conscience of who orders ahead of you. It really isn't fun to start your morning by having your eggs swiped. No, I'm not kidding.

Have questions about navigating Alliot? Ask me here.
xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics