Friday, November 4, 2011

@SMCvtAlumni Career Symposium 2011

Today was a day for considering the future. I'm sure that isn't nearly as nerve-wracking for me as it may be for some seniors, but it was intimidating nonetheless. Here is the schedule of events:
Diane Darling

Diane Darling – Networking
4:15 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.
Life After St. Mike’s and Internship Information
5:15 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Industry Panels
6:00 p.m. - 6:45 p.m.
6:50 p.m. - 7:35 p.m.
Networking for All Attendees
7:35p.m. - 8:15 p.m.

Diane Darling is an expert on networking. Her presentation was a great start to a networking event because she talked us through "How to Walk Through a Networking Event." My three big take aways:
  1. My hand shake is a little aggressive.
  2. Don't be afraid to approach 'big wigs.'
  3. Using "Tell me about..." is a great way to start a conversation with a new person. People love to talk about themselves.
After her presentation, current SMC students doing internships and alumni of the school talked to us about their experiences and life after SMC. Because I have done an internship, none of the intern experiences were particularly new to me. However, I found the Alumni stories interesting especially those who had internships turn into full-time positions.

The part I was particularly interested in was the panel discussion for Sales and Marketing. (Other panels included Science and Engineering, Not for Profit, and Human Resources amongst others.) Sales and Marketing featured 3 female SMC alumni: Kara Cleaver, CEO of Influency Group in Texas, Carol Bullock, the VP of Sales with Dolce Hotels and Resorts, and Deborah Ryan, the Marketing Director of Harvard Business School Executive Education. They all shared their stories about life in the world of marketing and answered my questions about what I should know going into an interview, particularly if it is for an online marketing position. Their answers in a nutshell?
  1. Know the platforms and how to use them.
  2. Know how to read and understand analytics, as well as their correlation to sales.
I am sad to say that I missed the networking session after the panels. My head was pounding and I had to get some Advil. (Not before getting some business cards, however.) All I can say is THANK YOU. Thank you to the Alumni Board, the Office of Career Development, the Internship Office, and the Alumni Office. The event went off fantastically. 

Questions about Career and Internship resources here? Get in touch: ghall@mail.smcvt.edu or www.formspring.me/gabbismc.

xo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics