Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why Losing the @SeventeenMag #Freshman15 Competition Was A Great Thing

I think I can guess what you are thinking.


1) Does the #Freshman15 have to do with weight gain?
2) What is the competition all about?
3) When is losing EVER good?


Answers:


1) No, this contest had nothing to do with weight gain.
2) The @seventeenmag competition is a contest for incoming freshman college students to become bloggers for Seventeen Magazine. They are given the opportunity to blog about their college experience for a very large audience.
3) I believe that all things happen for a reason. In this case, not being chosen for the Top 15 was a great thing.


Let me explain. 


At the end of my senior year of high school, I discovered this contest to be a blogger for Seventeen Magazine. My first thought, "This could get my foot into the door of a major magazine." Generally speaking, I don't go into online contests or sweepstakes with high expectations. Like I said, I believe everything happens for a reason and so I just let things take their course. (That being said I believe that good will come to those who work for it. I don't think I am going to be famous by sitting on a couch with a bag of potato chips.)


In fact, by July of 2009 I had forgotten that I had even entered the contest. Yup, completely slipped my mind. I was in Hawaii with my family for the month and all I was concerned about was whether the surf would be good in the morning, if I would see a see turtle, and the progression of my tan. That's when I received an email that I had made the finals. As I recall, there were about 100 girls on the email list. Yes, there could have been multiple emails, but I figure that there must have been thousands of applicants. The assignment for Round 2? Create a video under 60 sec long telling us why you should be chosen.
 
Ah yes. That gem to the right is my audition video. Admittedly, I probably could have done it fully clothed, but like I said my only concern was my tan and I was in HAWAII. I don't think I expressed myself as eloquently as I could have, but I was going was 'raw honesty.' Documentary style. :)


Long story short: I lost. Or I didn't get picked. I had temporary "I should have won, I had the most views" moment. (I even shamelessly promoted my video on the SMC Class of 2013 page.) Then, the lovely @MalloryWood asked me if I want to be an SMC Blogger. While SMC Blogs isn't Seventeen Magazine, I saw it as my first opportunity to get involved at SMC. I was in.


This is my third year as an online ambassador and as you may now, I recently took on the role of Online Media and Communications coordinator for the Founder's Society, which means I manage the entire blogger program including faculty, clubs, and the other students. My experience with SMC Bloggers is what landed me a paid-summer internship in Los Angeles. (Blog post to come: Why Not Becoming @CharlieSheen's #tigerbloodintern was a fabulous thing!) The Freshman 15 experience, while I'm sure beneficial, probably wouldn't have turned into a job that I could hold onto for my college career or teach me the skills to better understand social media, marketing, and leadership. 


That's why losing @SeventeenMags Freshman 15 contest was a great thing!
Questions, comments, concerns? You can ask me anonymously on Formspring!


xoxo
Gabbi


1 comment:

  1. Pff, they're really gonna regret not having you on their team - but you're right, I'm glad you're in charge of the social media/blogging team here ;)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics