Sunday, August 7, 2011

Getty Museum, Venice Beach, and Birthday Parties - Los Angeles, CA

If you keep up with my blog, you will know that I am living with my uncle, more specifically my mom's brother, and his family. This weekend, we celebrated my uncle's 44th birthday and my parents and little sister came down to join in on the celebration.
They arrived late Friday night, so the activities didn't start until Saturday morning. First off, my mom, sister, and I went to the Getty Museum.


The Getty Museum has free entrance (although it is $15 to park near the tram). The metro bus can take you to the tram so technically you could cut the cost. If I lived here full time, I imagine that is what I would do and I imagine I would go more than the average person. Just the buildings and gardens are fabulous. We were there on an exceptionally beautiful day so I could imagine myself on a bench reading a book. We also meandered through the Paris: Life and Riches exhibit, which was really cool. I love Marie Antionette's story, so the exhibit sort of immersed you in the facts of the age. One thing I did notice about the clothing and bed was that people were VERY small. I mean teany-tiny. If you think our twin beds at school are small, think again! There was also a photography exhibit of photos taken in Cuba and British watercolors. As someone who is a horrendous artist (My mima, mother, and sister are all artistic.) I am envious of those who have the talent! I do love to look at the pretty colors. No, that is not a joke. I am all about color schemes. What goes together, what colors flatter each other, ect.

As the heat of the day hit, we headed back to my parents hotel where we met up with my dad and grabbed lunch by the pool. I won't give you the details, but I am can sure you can imagine the story when I say 'never a dull moment.' There is always bickering and eye-rolling (with love) in the Hall family. After my fish tacos, Maddi and I went back to the house to rest up before the birthday party. (You'll see a photo of all the female family members at the party in the slideshow above.) The party was really fun and lasted until about 1 am ending mostly in hysterical conversations in the living room. No topic is off limits in this family... seriously.

1/2 Skateboard

Anyways, today we went to Venice Beach. You may recall that I have been there before and wanted to return a second time to get some art for my suite next year. (My dorm room is generally a reflection of everywhere I have traveled with an emphasis on the beach. Think of it as an oasis when its 30 below in the dead of winter.) While we there, I had great success with the new decorations. I purchased a painted broken skateboard (really 1/2 a skateboard) that can hang on my wall. It keeps with with beach theme and its says 'Venice Beach 2011' which differentiates it from my Hawaii beach memorabilia. I also purchased two photo prints from a local photographer of Santa Monica Pier and Santa Monica beach. Once again fitting the theme, but obviously from a different destination.
Santa Monica Photo Prints

Now, we are off to dinner to celebrate my sister's birthday which is on Tuesday. I can't believe she is going to be 17! I started college at 17. (Side note: Someone asked me how old I was yesterday and I responded 'Almost 20.' I then proceeded to have an internal freak out about the whole i-have-been-alive-2-decades thing.)

Tomorrow: Lunch with my family and the boss. My dad and my boss have been friends for a long time, but this will be interesting...

xoxo
Gabbi

1 comment:

  1. A good place to muse on oil painting in Western art history online, I find, is at this site at wahooart.com. There is a huge archive of digital images of artwork now housed in art museums around the world.
    The company makes canvas prints and hand-painted, oil painting reproductions to order, from your selection of images from this big archives.
    It's some resource for art lovers and historians. There are many images of works by famous artists of the past that I have never seen.
    From their home page at wahooart.com, you can browse by the hundreds of artists there, movements in art, art media, historical timeline and even by subject matter. There is much biographical information about the artists.
    I am always fascinated by the way the 19th century English landscape painter, William Turner, used layers of luminous oil paint to recreate his blazing landscapes. Clicking http://EN.WahooArt.com/@/WilliamTurner , I find his paintings indexed in a floating 3D gallery at the site.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics