Wednesday, July 6, 2011

#Interntips - Must Have iPhone Apps

I know not everyone has an iPhone, but I do know there are plenty of people that will find this informative! Recently I have started using some new iPhone apps that I believe can help an intern (or really anyone). Some are for navigation or discounts, while others are for more novelty purposes. Most importantly, all these apps are free, perfect for an intern 'salary.'

1) Eat St - This app (I discovered last week) will tell you were the food trucks are in your area. It will even tell you their hours and sometimes a menu. This a great tool, if say, your friend asks 'have you tried out the Mexican food truck?' You can break out this app and see if the truck is in the area.

2) NYCWAY/LAWAY - These apps (available for other major cities as well) are great for navigating a new city. Within this app, there are tons of categories including 'For Rent,' 'Free,' 'Nightlife,' and 'WiFi.' This app can be your tour guide when you are a new city with no connections or it can help you explore new hot spots! As someone who is still new to Los Angeles, I recommend giving it a download. It's free, so why not?

3) LinkedIn - Networking on the go. While I wouldn't say the LinkedIn App is my most used, (That would be Twitter or Instagram) I would say that it has the potential to be a useful tool. Let's say you meet someone at corporate party during your internship. You talk with this already established employee for an extended period of time and in the end, they offer to help you with that project that is totally stressing you out. If like me, you tend to lose things, the connections business card will be gone by the time you catch your taxi home. Now you don't have to worry about memorizing that business card. You can just find them on LinkedIn. Then you can keep in touch long past your internship. (I also suppose you could just take a picture of the business card, but just make sure you don't accidentally tweet it.)

4) The Craigslist app - So you are decorating your apartment and realize "I can't afford that 3,000 couch." Now what? Thank goodness for Craigslist and now you can carry it with you. Do a quick search in 'For Sale' and then spend a Sunday with your roommates going to various location, exploring your options. By the end of the day you might have enough furniture to make the apartment feel like home and some extra money to get those shoes you pass everyday on your walk to work.

5) Yelp - Another navigational tool, but so worth having because of the reviews. That's how I found my great and inexpensive nail salon. You can also find gyms and coffee shops. You can search for deli within walking distance and then you can choose your best option by price and reviews. I highly recommend having it when you are looking for a new lunch spot.

Random Recommendation: http://eat24hours.com/ You can order food for pick-up or delivery and it will tell you who offers it near you. I use it in my office. I ordered my Thai food and I got to take a short walk from the office to the restaurant without wasting time actually waiting for the food to be made. It could also be useful if you need to order lunch for the office.

Have questions for me? Ask me on Formspring or you can shoot me an email!
Follow me on Twitter!
xo Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics