Friday, July 15, 2011

All About Digital Arts, Journalism, and Media Studies (MJD)

The bottom line: We are a religion. Bergeron is our church and the AP Stylebook is our Bible.

Okay, so that is a slight exaggeration, but my point is that it is an intense major. While we may not be trekking through the wilderness collecting samples to later study in a biology lab, we spend plenty of time in the field and in labs. Our samples are interviews and our lab time is spent on a computer editing photos and building websites instead of observing insects. (Ew...)

Let me guess, right about now you are thinking, WHAT THE HECK IS BERGERON? It is a hidden gem on campus. Most students pass it several times a week and I'd say 50% of students have NO idea what lies within. Let me enlighten you. Bergeron is home to the MJD professors, 2 computer labs, and a classroom. You will often hear MJD majors joking about how they live in Bergeron. They aren't to far off. Need to get into Bergeron at 11 pm? Chances are that there is a student working in there. If the doors are locked, just knock loudly. :) The computers are equipped with all necessary software like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere. The thing I like most about Bergeron is the ability to ask anyone in the computer lab if they know how to do 'x' 'y' or 'z.' Sometimes, no one know how to edit this or add that, but often times an upperclassman or a classmate will have an answer. (or at least point you in the right direction). We are a helpful bunch!

What I love most about the department is how varied the education is. I mean, we get nice variation with the Liberal Studies Curriculum, but even within the department I have learned about camera presence, newspaper reporting, public relations work, and web design.  I feel that I can go into marketing and PR or I can pursue my ambition to commentate at the Olympics. I feel like the major has given me more options that I  ever planned to have and who doesn't like to have their options open?

Don't let anyone convince you that MJD isn't a worthwhile or serious major! If it is what you want to study, do it! I mean that for everyone. If you LOVE theater, study theater. You will find a niche after college. Maybe you take an MJD minor and work reviewing Broadway shows! Do what you love :)

Questions about the Digital Arts, Journalism, and Media Studies major? Ask here: www.formspring.me/gabbismc

xo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics