Saturday, February 5, 2011

Little Joys - Sunshine and Spectating

"Life is full of setbacks. Success is determined by how you handle setbacks."

If you keep up with my blog, you are aware I have mono. Ew.
If you have ever had mono, you are aware that you aren't supposed to move (essentially) for several weeks in order to recover.
Kelsey and I (I'm left)
I haven't done anything, but go to classes for the past two weeks. However, this Friday and Saturday I went out to Stowe to cheer on my team at the UVM Carnival. While it was hard to only be a spectator and cheerleader, being on the hill was better than sitting in my dorm watching live-timing. I chose to take the chairlift up because taking the chairlift is far less strenuous that hiking to the bottom of the course. I then proceeded to slide down the mountain. What I was doing can't be considered skiing because I basically just slid around making my way down parts of the trail at my own leisure. I suppose for some that is the definition of skiing, but as a racer it's not.
On Friday, it was giant slalom. I was only able to make it out for 2nd run because I had philosophy of religion in the morning. (I think I aced my reading quiz on chapters 5 and 6, in case you were wondering.) Side note: That class is actually getting far more interesting as we get into the actually philosophies. Now, back on track: The team did really well in the GS! I was so proud of all of them. Yes, I know I sound like a total mom, but it's true. I love to see that the work we put in pays off and I especially love to see the team happy at the end of the day.

Part of the Ski Team Family :)
My friend, Bill (Christina Billotti), was injured last season and is just getting back into the racing scene. She lead our team with a 31st place and scored FIS points which was huge! On the men's side, both Tim and Kevin scored, so there were lots of smiling faces at the end of the day! :-D

Today was the slalom and the weather was beautiful. I spent all of first run at the top of the course with our assistant coach, Molly. I was cheering and taking pictures and having a grand old time working on my goggle tan. The whole team was up there at a few points and it was nice to see the team all together, having a good time. For those of you who don't know, my goal for the team this year was to be more like a family. I feel that we have attained that goal (including the occasional sibling rivalry) which I am totally stoked about.

The courses were more challenging today, so there wasn't quite the density of success like in the GS, however Carl Oscar did get a fabulous 17th place finish, which I believe is his best result so far on the college circuit. On the ladies side, Ashley got 29th which also fabulous considering how many people struggled on the second run course!

Yes, I am gushing about my team. We may not be UVM, but in my mind we are just as fabulous! To get the "official" ski team scoop, check out the blog, Facebook, and Twitter! I'm always posting new stuff like videos and results!

Also remember that you can ask me questions anytime about all things Saint Mike's on Vyou or Formspring or shoot me an email under the "Contact Me" tab up top! I'm very easy to get ahold of!

xoxo

Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics