Wednesday, February 16, 2011

6 Degrees of Separation (Probably less than that actually...)

According to Wikipedia, six degrees of separation (also referred to as the "Human Web") refers to the idea that everyone is on average approximately six steps away from any other person on Earth, so that a chain of, "a friend of a friend" statements can be made, on average, to connect any two people in six steps or fewer. At Saint Mike's, I'm guesstimating that we are connected by two degrees of separation at most....

I was sitting in my Philosophy of Religion class with Professor Olsen... (take a mental note that this class is far more interesting that I thought it was going to be and its more reading than actual written hw) ...and I realized how much overlap there is at SMC. I'm sure at some point you've heard a Saint Mike's admissions counselor or student say "Saint Mike's has such a GREAT community." They will say that it's small. They will say you will always see familiar faces. I will say that you'll become friends with people you would never have befriended in high school.

All of this is true, but this short and sweet is to talk about how weird and interesting all the connections you make are. Let's start with my class and extracurriculars overlap. In my US History class, there are two other ski team members. Several other people in my US History class are ALSO in my philosophy of religion class. A different girl is in my philosophy of religion class AND my creative dance class. Also in my creative dance class is Kat, one of the Aca Bellas as well as a journalism major who was in my New Media classes. I won't even bother telling you all about the overlap in the journalism overlap because we are like a weird family over there in Bergeron,the journalism building... (most students walk by and wonder 'what happens in this building?').

I suppose that this all really leads back to a small community, but my point is that NO MATTER what department you are taking a class in, chances are there will be a familiar face. I thought I didn't know ANYONE in my philosophy class on day one. As the semester has continued, I have found that's not true. Here at Saint Mike's we are all connected in one way or another. Usually it is (at most) 2 degrees of separation through a friend or classmate. That's what makes a community. There is a comfort in the familiarity and an excitement in getting to know a familiar face on a more personal lever.

This is just something I wanted to express and I hope it gives you a little insight into life here.

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics