Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dear Snow Gods, Why are you neglecting VT? Love, Gabbi

I'd like to start off with "Happy New Year" to everyone! I hope that this year is better than your last. I could put some cheesy quote in now about looking to the future and shooting for the stars, but I don't feel like googling that right now because it takes me FOREVER to decide on one.

Now, as you probably know, I am back on campus. I've been here for almost a week now. It has been REALLY warm and I don't just mean it has been above zero. I mean it is currently 50 degrees outside and I can rock a t-shirt. Okay, I am all for sunshine and warm weather, but we have lost A LOT of snow. There is barely any left on campus and up at the mountain yesterday there were huge dirt patches. It was is so sad. :-(

I don't really pray, but I am praying to the snow gods that we get some snow ASAP. It is January 2nd and this is all getting a little... okay, more than a little... ridiculous. Despite the warm weather, up until yesterday the training had been pretty good. I trained 2 days of slalom with the team at Smuggs and one day I went down to Burke Mountain for a Pre-Nor-Am camp to train GS.

That was really cool for a number of reasons. 1) I've never been to Burke and I like going to new places. 2) I got to train with some amazing skiers from UVM, Denver U, and UNH. Now, Saint Mike's does have a stronger team than in previous years, which I am totally jazzed about! However, it's great to get out and train with skiers who have been on the national team and are winning the college races. I'm a visual learner, so watching them ski is HUGELY helpful to me. I am also really lucky that Molly, the assistant coach, came with me. Because I was the only SMC skier going down there, it was nice to have a coach there to coach and video me. Turns out I knew most of the coaches from the other teams, which was also nice. I'm realizing it's a small world, a really small world.

Outside of training, my friend Kelsey and I went to watch the SMC ice hockey game that was part of the Holiday Classic tournament. Kelsey is the real ice hockey fan, but I'm getting into it and it's a fun to watch.  Unfortunately, we lost that game, but one game doesn't determine a season.

Alright, I have to finish loading my car. I'm headed up to Sunday River for the Nor-Ams. Wish me luck and send good vibes my way!
Remember, that if you have any questions you can click the "Ask Questions About SMC" tab or leave a comment below!
For constant updates, follow me on Twitter.
xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics