Saturday, December 25, 2010

Making the Rounds - Lake Tahoe, CA and NV



Happy Holidays everyone! I hope that everyone is enjoying a break from school work and time with friends and family. I know I am. I have run into so many old friends. People I didn't even expect to see are coming out of the woodwork.

Early Morning Training at Diamond Peak
When I come home I like to make the rounds through the ski areas. I have skied Diamond Peak, Sugar Bowl, and Squaw Valley. Diamond Peak is literally 2 minutes down the hill from my parents new house, which is awesome. It's not the biggest ski area out here, but there are BEAUTIFUL views of Lake Tahoe. The coaches of the team there are also very nice and allow me to train with them.

This pic to the right is a sunrise on the lake from the chairlift. It was a blue bird day and around 30 degrees. I can't complain about anything. It was awesome!


Skiing with old friends from gymnastics and skiing
When I'm not training, I do some free-skiing. We had an epic snowfall the last week, so I finally got to do some powder skiing. Places like Mammoth Mountain were claiming 15 feet and in Tahoe it was around 12 feet in only a few days! It was awesome! I couldn't have asked for better snow during the break.

My best powder day was at Sugar Bowl, where I skied with my friend, Hillary. We have been friends since I was 11 years old when we did gymnastics together in the Bay Area. Then, I ran into Kelly and Shannon, who are sisters that I have been racing with for 9 years. I wasn't expecting to run into them since the are technically "Squaw girls" now, but we had a great time reliving our childhood adventures at Sugar Bowl. It's nice to ski somewhere where you know all the nooks and crannies.


Caitlin and I at Squaw Valley
Today,  my little sister and I headed over to Squaw Valley to ski with my friend Caitlin and her older sister, Alex. Caitlin and I have been friends for a long time, but we were also roommates at Sugar Bowl Academy my sophomore year of high school.
She doesn't race anymore, but she still shreds so we love to get together and screw around. She always makes me laugh.

It was beautiful weather, although a little windy. There were no lines at the lifts because A) it's a big mountain and B) I think most people just relax at home on Christmas. Essentially, it was awesome!

My sister and I at Squaw
My sister and I don't get to ski together much and because she is currently recovering from a knee injury, she is nice and slow, so I can actually keep up. :-P Squaw is her home mountain, but she isn't all that familiar with it. Thank goodness I had Caitlin and Alex to lead me around.

I have absolutely loved being home and I can't believe I'm only here two more full days! It's crazy! However, I am excited to start racing. Make sure to follow this blog and the Alpine Ski Team Blog to keep up on what I'm doing and what the ski team is doing. If you are a Nordic skier, you can also follow the Nordic Ski Team Blog. While our points all go together to produce our team's ranking, we race at different venues.

Also, remember that you can ask me questions or check out previous answers about SMC via Formspring and VYou. You can also see previous answers there as well. I think VYou is a little easier as far as searching for previous answers, but it's totally up to you!

xoxo
Gabbi







3 comments:

  1. Hi Gabbi!
    I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about the ski team at SMC. I race in high school, but I have no clue if I'm good enough to race in college.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey "Anonymous!"
    The ski team at Saint Mike's is getting more competitive. I don't know your gender, but the men's team has been more competitive than the women's team. This year, we do have a full women's team which is VERY exciting.
    For the most in-depth info, I'd recommend checking out the team blog: http://smcskiteam.blogspot.com/
    There you can find the "Meet the Team" post. Take those names and search for them at USSA.org in the "Athlete History" or even better, check out fis-ski.org -> alpine skiing -> points. College races are FIS races so those are the points that really count! If you have other questions, shoot me an email at ghall@smcvt.edu.
    -Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just catching up on all my blog reading. I know you're heading back to VT, but it looks gorgeous out there! I hope you had an amazing time at home and I'll see you on campus when the rest of school is still on break!

    Oh, and thanks for the plug! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics