Sunday, December 12, 2010

Top Questions About Saint Michael's College




The idea behind this post is to put some of my most viewed/useful answers front and center. Some of them have not been posted in a while. I have a Formspring account, so you can ask me question there, but I have been primarily using VYou lately. You can ask questions from either site on the right side of the blog in the Formspring box or go to the "Ask Questions" tab at the top of the page!
I hope this is helpful!
xoxo
Gabbi

Number One:

when can I change my classes? I've already registered for them, but is there a time at the end of the summer when I can switch them around?

I don't have an exact date for this summer, but I believe you will be able to switch your schedule around after the last registration day at the end of July. Around Aug. 1st, you can log on to Knight Vision and see what classes are still available. If you can't switch on the website, just call the registrar's office and they will be more than happy to help you if there are available spots. If you can't get in before school, there is week period at the start of semester to drop/add classes and you can go directly to the professor and see if they will take extra students. You could also email the professor before school starts to get their policy on adding extra students. Ex: Professor Kim Sultze is ksultze@smcvt.edu
Good Luck!
Number Two:

Can you list some necessities to bring to college as a freshmen? for dorm rooms, for classes, for going out...etc.

Wow, that's broad but I'll give you the top ten things I can think of.
1) 2 sets of sheets, 2 pillows, a mattress pad, and a comforter
2) At least two towels, a shower basket with shampoo/condition/razor/soap ect. that you can take to the bathroom
3) A microwavable plate, cup, and bowl plus utensils
4) A refrigerator and microwave (you only need one of each per room so talk to your roommate)
5) A pair of appropriate pajamas so you aren't embarrassed or frantically putting on pants when someone knock on your door.
6) A desk lamp and a "desk set" with pencil holder and other organizing things
7) Laundry basket/soap/ dryer sheets
8) One "family appropriate" business casual outfit for something like the Block M Athletics Dinner or Dean's List Get Together.
9) A pair of jeans and a million t-shirts that you can wear with them for that lovely 8 am class as well as a pair of sneakers you can just throw on.
10) Pictures of home, friends, and posters to decorate your room with. I did a beach theme and had some great pictures of Hawaii collaged on my wall.

Obviously, you can take what you want, but I think these can get you by for a while. All school supplies can be purchased at the book store or you can catch the bus to town and get supplies at the Rite-Aid. Bring clothes you are comfortable and confident in. And my big piece of advice is: DON'T CHANGE WHO YOU ARE WHEN YOU COME TO SCHOOL. Seriously. Be yourself and emphasize your best qualities, but if you try to totally reinvent yourself it might go spiraling out of control.

Number Three:

Gabbi, is it pretty easy to meet friends in your dorm building and floor? Thanks!

There is NOTHING easier. Over orientation weekend, it's a great time to "make the rounds." Most people have their doors open and are open to visitors. And when move in is happening on Thursday from 9 am - 1 pm, the main dorm doors are open so you can go meet people in the other buildings.
In my experience, I found that when I wanted to go to meals in the beginning I'd ask a girl on my floor. It was how we got over the awkward stage. Nothing like an Alliot meal to build friendships. :-D
My big tip is: Keep your door open over Orientation Weekend as much as possible. At one point my roommate and I had 20 people playing some screaming word game in our room and I'm still friends with quite a few of them!

Number Four: 

i feel like i am honestly the only incoming freshman who is not jumping up and down and counting down the days until we leave. were you nervous your first week at smc/how did you overcome it if you were?

Great question!!

Of course I was nervous! I was nervous people wouldn't like me. I was nervous I couldn't handle the school work. I was nervous that I would fall behind in my ski racing. I was nervous that SMC wasn't the best choice for me. My head was absolutely spinning before I came to school. Although, I will admit I was one of those people that was soooooo excited to move-in.
Move-in day I was nervous about the first impression I would make (I even tried like 5 outfit on that morning because I had to be comfortable and cute.) and to be honest it didn't go away until after the first week of classes, but here is my secret.
Keep a smile on your face and keep your dorm room door OPEN. Go walk around the freshman buildings, Joyce, Lyons, and Ryan, and talk to everyone who has doors open. It may not seem that everyone is nervous, but I'd bet that 99% of the other freshman are putting on their brave faces.
Get a big group of girls or guys on your floor (or not) to go to Alliot meals together. The more people the better and less awkward it will be. Invite your new friends over for games or jamming out to music in your room. I had 20 people in my room playing this weird word game at one point during orientation.
So SMILE and keep an open mind about everyone! Moving into college is a weird, awkward and wonderful experience so appreciate every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics