Sunday, October 3, 2010

Getting Off Campus

    There is one question that I can expect on every tour. "Do students stay on campus all the time? What do you do for fun?"
    The answer to the first question is: Yes, most students stay on campus on the weekends, but for things to do, many people will venture into Burlington. Freshman aren't allowed to have cars on campus, so they use the easy and free CCTA bus system. Students simply head to the bus stop by Ross Sports Center and hop on the number 2. It'll drop students off right on Church St. It's pretty awesome.
A beautiful Fall day outside Pontigny
    In Burlington, students grab food and places like Boloco or the Skinny Pancake who accept the Knight Card (Our student ID card that doubles as a debit card). Go shopping at the mall or hang out at Lake Champlain (when the weather is warm). I personally like to attend concerts at Higher Ground. The tickets are reasonable, the venue is really small, and there is a great mix of big names and local up-and-comers.
The warm-up at the UVM vs UNB ice hockey game
   Today, I did the unspeakable. I went to a UVM sporting event. *Gasp* My friend is a big ice hockey fan and wanted to see a game. I'm the first to admit that I really don't know anything except that there are 3 20-minute periods and the boys smash each other against the barrier. It's intense and I'll also admit that I'm falling in love with it. They are totally hardcore. UVM also has a stellar hockey team
and they were playing the University of New Brunswick in Canada and it was... Oh, it was really cool.
    Kelsey and I got tickets right at the rink and it seemed like we were the only two not in Catamount gear. I've never been to a sporting event at a large college and even though this wasn't a big game, it was a very cool experience. Just for a minute, I thought "Maybe a big school could have been the place for me." Then I thought, "Nope, I like walking around campus and always seeing people I know." I considered the possibility of being at a big school and meeting a person and then not seeing them for 4 years. No, I definitely prefer the small, comfortable community of SMC.
  After the game, we headed to Church St. to have some Japanese food, which was of course delicious and a wonderful way to end the weekend. After dinner we grabbed Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks which were so delicious and totally made my evening.
Now, I'm back in the dorm taking a mini-break from my religion paper that isn't writing itself... It's so sad when you actually have to do homework. Time to hit the books again!
Remember that if you have any questions, you can ask me through my FormSpring. You can ask anonymously so don't be embarrassed or shy!

xo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics