Sunday, September 19, 2010

Woah Woah Woah! Where did that week go?

    It's true. Time really flies when you are having fun. Actually, time just flies by. I feel like sometimes I wake up and it's Monday I go to a day of classes and BAM! It's Thursday and I am wondering where the rest of my week went.
     This was my busiest on record because our full-time dryland program for the ski team has started, which is wonderful because it really forces me to do a crazy workout. I'm going to be beast for the season! Can't wait! Anyways....
    With every passing week comes a wonderful weekend. This weekend my friends and I did another hike. On Friday, we drove to my friend's cabin near Middlebury Ski Bowl, where we took a break from regular college life. Sarah and Kate were on cooking duty and whipped a wonderful meal of mashed potatoes, chicken, butternut quash, and broccoli. This cabin didn't have central heating so we had to use this log burning system. I've never seen something like that before, but it worked just fine and we didn't freeze. I am happy that temps are dropping, though! That means snow soon.... hopefully.
    Back on topic, we spent the rest of the night relaxing, listening to country music, and talking about everything from politics to boys. It so much fun and it was a pretty early night since we had plans to hike the next morning. When we woke up at 8:30 am, it looked a little cloudy, but that burned off quickly into a nearly cloudless day. We cooked up some eggs and English muffins for a delicious breakfast before we packed up my car. Now originally we wanted to hike Mount Ellen at Sugar Bush, but unfortunately once we got to the general someone realized the original hike we planned to do was 6 miles and that we didn't have time to do that since I had to be back for Acabella call-backs.
    Thankfully, Vermont has lots of hikes so we just switched the game plan. We opted to head back towards school and hike Camel's Hump. That is near Richmond, VT or Cochran's Ski Area. Before we went on the hike we made a stop at "On The Rise" bakery. When we pulled into the parking lot it was absolutely jam packed, but one van caught my eye. It was the very recognizable UVM Ski Team van. I pull up and inside sit a whole bunch of my friends on the ski team. It was just one of those days where you run into really random people. They were off to a ski team get-together with the Nordic team.
  Once Sarah got her coffee, we drove the last 15 min leg to the trail head. The hike took us about 3 hours round trip including a snack break up at the summit. We absolutely BEASTED it up this mountain... or at least parts of it. Sarah and I were practically running up some of the steep sections. It's so fun to have friends who are as weird and crazy as I am.
    When we finally made it down the mountain, we headed back to campus. I was covered in mud and was ready for shower... so I took one. Great story, I know. Not long after I picked up my friend, Peppers, and we headed to McCarthy Art Center, which is located near the library, for Acabella call-backs. I was really nervous. There are about 20 girls working for 12 spots and many of them have fantastic voices. I just have to keep a positive attitude. We hear back in the next two days, so keep your fingers crossed! For call-backs, they had us sing a 3-part Star Spangled Banner, which we had to learn in about 15 minutes. I was singing the Soprano 2 part (I am actually an Alto 1), but thankfully it wasn't that high. Considering this is my first semester really having to learn a part not just a melody I think it went pretty well, but it's all up to the judges now, so to speak.
     So I suppose the upside to my rant at the beginning, my classes will go by quickly this week and it will be the weekend soon enough. On the schedule this week it the first of two Varsity Athlete talks that all athletes are required to attend. They are Got Skills (<-- mentioned under "activities") event which promotes the acceptance of diversity.  Be prepared for info in one of my next posts!

xoxo
Gabbi

PS: Remember that you can ask me questions anonymously here: Formspring
Or you can shoot me an EMAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics