Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome Back Bash





    How's it going everyone? It's Sunday night here at SMC and most people are watching the VMA's in their dorm rooms. I'm watching Bones re-runs and taking a break from my reading for Varieties of Christianity. I just couldn't do anymore reading, so I guess I'll do some writing.
    This weekend was our "Welcome Back Bash" at Saint Michael's College and for me that meant one exciting thing... THE HIGHLIGHTER DANCE! For those of you who don't know, I didn't go to dances in high school. I didn't go to homecoming or prom. I went to ski races. The Highlighter dance is my homecoming and think of Halloween as prom, but better because you get to wear costumes.
     Before the Saturday's events, my friends and I went over to Stowe and hiked to the "Chin" on Mt. Mansfield and it's awesome! It was 3 hrs and 40 min total including lunch at the top. You can see 360 degrees around at the top and it was a cloudless day. Check out the photos above! I'll be honest, I am pretty sore from the trek. I'm fairly certain I used muscles I've never used before. There was some crazy bouldering! We've decided to try and do a hike every weekend until the snow flies or at least until we get to busy.
    On campus, there were a series of athletic events including tennis, soccer, and volleyball. To see results, head to the Athletics page. At 2:30 pm, there was a slip and slide set up on the 300's field, followed by a Ultimate Frisbee game. To build up the Highlighter Dance, there was a barbecue on the 300's field where the whole school eats on the grass. There were performances by the Celtic Knights, an irish step-dancing group on campus, along with two campus bands, Project Noca and Free Louis. We were lucky to have beautiful weather allowing everyone to relax and enjoy the good company.
    The Highlighter Dance started at 10 pm. You had to buy a $5 ticket, which could be purchased ahead of time or at the door. The money went towards Tuesday's Children, a non-profit family service organization that has made a long-term commitment to every individual who was directly impacted by the events of September 11, 2001 and more recently those lives that have been affected forever by the effects of terrorism around the globe. It was held in Alliot where a DJ had set up on the far wall and black lights all around.  If you don't know, a Highlighter dance is where you wear a white shirt and get a highlighter at the door and draw on people's shirts. They glow in the black light. The best part of the dance is that everyone goes. I saw my senior friends and my freshman friends. We were all in the same place. It's also a great way to meet people!
     All in all, it was definitely one of the best weekends I've had here which is a big feat considering how awesome last year was! It just keeps getting better! Also, keep your fingers crossed for me because I'm auditioning for the Acabellas tomorrow :-D

xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics