Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Suite Life

Hey Everyone!
It's the beginning of a new year here at St. Mike's and I want to say welcome to the Class of 2014 and any transfers that are just starting out! I hope you enjoyed orientation (You probably saw me around with the flip cam.) and are enjoying the lack of whistles that is haunting the campus right now!
Like everyone else, I have moved into my new home, a four-person suite in Pontigny. I am living with my good friend, Natalie, and two international students named Dain (pronounced Tie-Anne) and Nikoro. Dain is from Korea and Nikoro is from Japan. They are both so nice and I can't wait to get to know them better.
So, I tried to make a video of the suite, but I am having trouble uploading so pictures are the next best thing! Here it goes!
In order to include all 4 girls in the decoration of the common room, we decided to split the walls into sections and allow everyone to decorate part. That way it reflects everyone. My theme was places I've traveled. It's not everywhere, but it's a lot of them. I think it's an appropriate theme for Ambassador Housing!

Welcome to my room! Unlike in the freshman dorms, we are unable to loft our beds. However we don't need to fit couches and chairs in our rooms because we have the common area. There is a closet on the right (obviously not visible here), a desk, and shelves under the bed. I bought a few plastic drawers to add to my storage options because I have so much stuff, but surprisingly everything fits comfortably.

Last year, my theme was "Bright and Wild." Notice the leopard print sheets on my bed in the last photo? Those were the first things I bought when working towards my theme. This year, I didn't have a specific theme, but I knew I wanted tons of pictures from traveling, summer, friends, and family. On the top, I have my shrine to my recent adventure to New Zealand. Yes, I put my medal up there. I'm very proud of it. Then I found this really cool mirrored words. Below that I put pictures of me and my oldest and best friend. To the left is the "Men of Hawaii" calendar and as you go farther right I have pictures of family and friends from skiing and SMC. I also put up old ski passes and airplane tickets. It was so much easier to turn my blank room in home because I already had a ton of the decorations. I have found Walmart very useful for getting more pictures tho! I order them online and they are ready in an hour and I'm good to go. It's sooooo easy and is my new favorite discovery.


When I'm not at Walmart, I have been hanging out with my friends that live upstairs, or Cantebury, or Joyce 3rd where my friend is an RA, or Lyons 1st where my other friend is an RA. It's fun! I feel like such a social butterfly. I also attended a TON of the Orientation events to take video so all of you can see what Orientation is really like! Just like last year, the hypnotist was ABSOLUTELY hilarious and people did some hilarious things, but I won't give away the details because that will ruin it for your orientation!! I know many students enjoyed the dance on Friday night including myself and my other friends who had nothing better to do with our evening!
Overall, I think it was another great orientation and think the freshman are now a little more comfortable here at St. Mike's. Classes start tomorrow and I can't believe. I promise to update soon with how my classes are going, the new info for the ski team, and all things SMC!
xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics