Sunday, June 6, 2010

Exploring My Options

Here's a fun fact: Approximately 30% of Saint Michael's students study abroad, the majority of them in their junior year.
Here's another fun fact: I wasn't going to study abroad because I have been around the world and back again thanks to ski racing.
Last fun fact: I think I'll do it anyway.

So, like I said, I didn't have any intention to study abroad because I spent so much time in Austria, Chile, New Zealand, and a couple other places in between. My dad has been saying "You've spent the last two years abroad!" This is true, but skiing abroad isn't quite the same as studying abroad. It forced me to learn about places in my own, unorganized way, but I didn't get the same "culture" so to speak.
Don't think that I want to leave Saint Michael's because that has been my number one argument. I DON'T want to miss a single second of my precious time there, but still I love to travel and there is a lot of the world to see.
Right now, I am considering two options and while you may think one is the obvious "abroad" choice, hear me out, please. I am currently going back and forth between Florence, Italy or Los Angeles, CA.

Florence: I could go there, unable to speak Italian, complete my internship, and explore all of Italy.
Pros: Learn Italian, perform my internship abroad, make Italian friends, and meet cute Italian boys I can't understand
Cons: Well,  I can't think of any right now, but if I do I'll add them.

Los Angeles: Yes, I know I'm from the west coast, but you must first understand that like my dad says I've been traveling the majority of the past few years. Also, Hollywood is the center of the entertainment world as far as I am concerned and with my obviously lofty goals it's the place I need to go eventually.
Pros: Doing my internship at the entertainment capital of the world, taking classes in entertainment marketing/PR/advertising, classes are taught by people with the "in" at ABC and other big networks, make connections <-- That's a BIG selling point
Cons: Strictly speaking it's not what you'd traditionally call "abroad," but LA is it's own world. I'm not going all that far (VT is farther from me).

Well, that's my latest predicament.  If you want to check out the Study Abroad options at Saint Mike's, head to the SMC Study Abroad site. You can go almost ANYWHERE and it's a tuition exchange program which makes it exceptionally easy!

LASTLY, SOME BIG NEWS! Miss Caroline Bright, a fellow blogger, has just been named Miss Vermont 2010! Keep updated on her reign on her BLOG.You can also follow her adventures on Twitter.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and remember if you have questions you can comment here, send me an email, or ask a question using the Formspring box on the right side of this blog.
xo
Gabbi

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gabbi,

    Sounds like you've been to really diverse places around the world. Did you go alone? Was the skiing different in each place?

    I'd like to invite you to become a member of www.PinkPangea.com, a new community for women travelers to get real travel information geared specifically to women.

    It would be great if you could post about your travels around the world, providing anecdotes and photos from your time abroad as well as tips for women travelers who also want to get out there.

    I look forward to hearing more about your experiences abroad!

    Hope to hear from you soon,

    Rachel
    rachel@pinkpangea.com
    www.PinkPangea.com

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics