Monday, May 3, 2010

Adventure to St. Albans, Vermont

This weekend was my last weekend at Saint Michael's as a freshman. I'm excited for summer and for classes to take a break. It's funny to think that this time last year I was just sending in my deposit and couldn't wait to get word of my room mate. I was anticipating graduation, which was only a month away, and couldn't wait for my trip to Hawaii. There was so much excitement leading up to my move-in at Saint Mike's.
Right now, I am anticipating my roommate coming to visit me at the end of May, summer skiing, and then moving in Potigny in August.
So, back to last weekend. My friend and future suitemate, Natalie, and her family invited my friends and me up to their home in St. A's for the Maple Fest, or "The Fest" as the locals call it. 
At the beginning of the day, our RA arranged a brunch in the Women's Center. She cooked the floor eggs, bacon, and pancakes. We spent 2 hours snacking on breakfast and watching the Hannah Montana movie. (I wanted Peter Pan, but I was out voted.) These brunches are so much fun and they are a great way for the floor to get together before summer break. 
A little after noon, we headed for Saint Albans, which is about a 25 minute drive from SMC. I was surprised how quickly was got there. I kept thinking it was farther away. Anyways, we showed up at Natalie's house around 12: 45 and then walked to Main St. to take in the Maple Fest.
I got to see Natalie's high school and it is the first time I have been in a normal high school since tours in 8th grade. We walked around a craft fair filled with homemade peanut butter and jewelry. We spent time in the cafeteria eating Maple Creamees and Andrea bought a t-shirt. (She wore it today :-P) 
On Main St, there were food stands like Al's, a burger joint, or giant lemonades. All along the street were stands with different maple products like maple-covered peanuts and maple fudge.
After a few hours walking around taking maple syrup shots and playing fair games, we headed back to Natalie's house to relax on the porch and eat dinner. Okay, I don't know what it is about front porches and rocking chairs that makes people reminisce, but it happens. I loved hearing everyone childhood stories. I am so lucky to have friends that are willing to share embarrassing moments. I like to think that means we are close. Once we had laughed and Andrea had fallen asleep in her chair, it was time for dinner. You will never appreciate a home cooked meal until you've been to college and haven't had one in a while. We inhaled burgers and a salad with dressing, a secret recipe involving maple syrup. 
When we were to full to move, Teresa turned around in her chair and began to play the piano as the rest of us sang along to songs, whether we knew all the words or not. It didn't matter.
Needless to say, it was a wonderful Saturday and I'm pretty sure that the Maple Fest will be a tradition amongst our friends until we graduate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics