Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another Higher Ground Adventure :-)



Welcome to Higher Ground. That is a guitar that sits in the lobby area. It's big and has pretty designs and is signed by someone famous. I didn't read the plaque, but you can go and learn about it on your own.
I was at Higher Ground last night ( a Tuesday... I still think it's cool I can go to a concert on a Tuesday night because I'm in college and no one is really telling me what to do... and I had my homework done so...) to see Mikey Wax, Serena Ryder, and Howie Day. I won the tickets through a Facebook contest done by our school's radio station, WWPV. There are always contests for tickets to concerts, which is great because I probably wouldn't have gone if I had to pay for a ticket. Not that they are at all expensive, but to be honest Howie Day isn't a big enought name to tempt the lonely twenty sitting in my wallet.



This is Mikey Wax when he was playing guitar and piano in the same song. It was very cool. I mean I'm no musical genius, but I think we can safely assume that it took a bit of practice. My favorite song in his set was called "The Last Great Song," which tells the story of a man he met in New York City who asked for change in exchange for hearing "The Last Great Song." Wax's song wasn't a copy of it, but a story about it. I thought it was wonderful.



Now, meet Serena Ryder, who is now one of my favorite artists. When I found out she was opening, I did some research. Her sound reminds me of Alanis Morrisette or Minnie Driver with a whole lot of sass. I have to say, I love her more live than recorded. Maybe it's her stage presence, but she was quirky in a red flapper style dress and seemed completely into what she was doing. She played her miniature guitar, stomped around in her boots, and made the whole place shake with her vocals. Really, it was amazing. I would kill for her vocals. To be honest, I like her far more than Howie Day. She was the best part of the show. I am hoping to go see her again on May 5th (even though it's the middle of finals week.....).


... And now, Howie Day. I have to say I'm very conflicted on my feelings towards him. Yes, he is VERY cute. And yes, he plays guitar, piano, and writes songs. So, I guess he's sort of perfect? Except for the looping. Now I understand that recorded music has lots of layers and editing, but I like concerts because when it is an individual, it is there voice and a singular instrument. It's very raw. Don't get me wrong, I would be so down to go to a Beyonce concert with edited beats, but it's just not what I expect out of someone who I wouldn't consider to be in the pop genre. (That's just me.) When he first came on, I was a little thrown off by the fancy footwork on the looper and "echo creator"(That's probably not what it's called, but you get the point.) As the show progressed, it grew on me. I have a feeling this is because he was very charming and funny on stage and as I've said VERY attractive.
Who knows?

That's all for now.
xoxo
Gabbi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Analytics